Thursday, February 10, 2011

Medstar's Policy of Deceit

Today I received an email from Gerry Dickerson, Medstar's director of rehab. Regarding a loaner chair Gerry wrote:

"As far as the loaner issue, Medstar would be able to loan you a manual wheelchair.
It has been a policy at Medstar not to loan power mobility equipment for many years.
We cannot, at this point in time, change that policy. We simply do not have power loaners available."

Well Gerry, perhaps you need to tell your salesperson Gail about this policy. Gail must be unaware of it. If Gail is aware of it, does that point to a company policy of deceiving it's customers?

The policy of deceit was quite evident when Gail told me my chair would be ready in October, but it wasn't. The policy of deceit was evident when Janine told me my paperwork was done in October, November and February, but it still isn't. And Janine told me my chair would be ready in January, but it wasn't.

Maybe this is why Medstar has pulled Gail and Janine from my case and assigned Ruth Tiska? (1-800-223-4486 extension 116) A tacit admission of wrongdoing perhaps?

To her credit, Ruth is making no promises she can't keep. Along with Gail, she is hiding behind the no loaner policy for power chairs, despite the foregoing. I asked Ruth to make calls to Pride's (the wheelchair company) manufacturer rep but this is apparently asking too much. I know now his name is Rudy and he's probably in every rolodex at Medstar, but I'm the one who has to track him down.

As far as a manual wheelchair, I have one good arm. Should I run in circles all day? Perhaps this is Medstar's sense of humor.

I found out today that Medstar will be making a home visit soon. Okay, great. However, I found out through an email from my sister. I have no problem with my family knowing my business, but I am questioning if Medstar is being a little too loose with my medical information. According to The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy and Security Rules, everyone has certain rights to privacy in terms of their medical records. Medstar has this policy on their website, but someone there needs to review it. www.medstarsurgical.com/hipaa.htm

Gerry, your employees are adhering to a policy of deceit, flaunting your HIPAA policy and you insist you can't bend the policy of loaning power chairs? That's comical. The title of yesterday's post looks premature now.

I wonder if Zeb Pirzada, Medstar's president has any comment on the above? You can reach him at 1-800-223-4486 extension 131.

The Joint Commission's Office of Quality Monitoring confirmed my complaint today and will be investigating.

No comments:

Post a Comment